Wednesday, September 29, 2010

OSD600 Project Chosen! - C3DL Refactoring it is!

For my project this semester, I've decided to go with the refactoring of the C3DL library core. From what I understand about the library, whenever you include it, EVERYTHING in the library is included, which most of the time will include a bunch of features a developer may not want or need. So for this project the idea is to basically, shape the library into modules so that developers can pick and choose what they want to include in their projects. The main page for the C3DL library can be found here. As for why I've chosen this project, it was one of the initial projects I saw that piqued my interest, and I'm very interested in getting into game programming, and the C3DL library allows you to do that within browsers utilizing javascript and HTML5.

As far as keeping up with what I'm doing for this project, I'll be making frequent posts here on my blog and you can also check out the project page directly. I'll do my best to keep all major announcements pertaining to the project available as soon as I get to them, most likely through my blog and immediately after on the project page.

My plans for the 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3 releases I'm not totally sure yet, I will have to speak to my contacts for this project to get a better understanding of what exactly I will be doing and how far I'll be digging into the library. When I know a little more about the project, I'll update this post with more definitive stages to look toward.

The major languages I'm going to have to become more familiar with are Javascript, HTML5, and WebGL. I've already done a bit of javascript, so I think a brief refresher will help out there, as for HTML5 and WebGL I'll have to pick those up, but what I've seen so far from HTML5 I'm excited to explore them.

From past and current courses I already know Cathy. I have yet to speak with her, however I'll speak to her tomorrow about the project and see what she has to say on it and where I can begin.

As far as collaboration and contributing, as I've mentioned already I'm not 100% sure of what exactly will need to be done, but if you are interested in getting involved on this project, you can contact me directly through email. From the project list I saw while choosing this project there were a few other C3DL related projects going on. It would probably be beneficial to communicate with the people working on those projects as we might have some advice that will help each other out.

What I'm most worried / concerned about is jumping into a project where I don't know what's fully going on, but I am confident that I can get up to speed quickly once I have set some goals in place and know where I am heading to. It'll also be helpful to have some contacts I can get in touch with if I get lost during the project.

That's all I've got to say on that now, hopefully I'll keep these --> ლ(゚д゚ლ) to a minimum during the project!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, good luck with your project. Here is a great site to start learning HTML5:
    http://diveintohtml5.org/

    - Dale, 3rd semester CPA student

    ReplyDelete